What is IVF ?
IVF is also called as Test Tube Baby. IVF stands for In Vitro Fertilization.
What is the difference between IVF and ICSI ?
In IVF – Sperms and Eggs are placed in a dish and sperms swim towards the egg and fertilise them naturally. There is a chance that oocytes may fail to fertilize.
In ICSI Individual sperms are selected and injected into each egg. Fertilization rate is much higher in ICSI compared to IVF.
Who should go for IVF / ICSI Treatments ?
- Blocked Fallopian Tubes
- Problems in Sperm (Azoospermia, Low sperm count, Poor motility, Bad Morphology)
- Severe Endometriosis (chocolate cyst)
- Poor ovarian reserve (Few eggs in the ovary, low AMH)
- Advanced age (>37 years)
- Unexplained Infertility (after IUI failures)
- Genetic diseases (PGS,PGD)
What are the steps involved in an IVF cycle ?
- Learn about IVF (Steps involved, risks, success chances, cost)
- Preparation for IVF (Keep things ready, hysteroscopy, blood tests, etc).
- Stimulate ovary (Injections to produce follicles).
- Egg Pickup – Pickup eggs from the ovary.
- IVF / ICSI – Fertilize the eggs with sperms.
- Embryo culture – Grow the embryos in the lab.
- Embryo Transfer – Transfer embryos into the uterus.
- Embryo Freezing – Freezing of extra embryos for future use.
What are the success rates of IVF Cycle?
Success Rates in IVF depends on the number of embryos available after IVF. The more the number better the success chances.
What are the complications expected with IVF Cycle ?
- Ovarian Hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS)
- Ectopic Pregnancy
- IVF failure
- Twins or Triplets
What is the cost of an IVF cycle ?
The cost of IVF cycle with Dr Arun at Chennai depends on the type of medication used for stimulation during IVF.
IVF Costs in Chennai
Medicines, Blood tests additional to be procured from respective hospitals
What is Embryo Freezing ?
Embryo Freezing is the process by which we freeze the extra embryos after IVF process.
What is the maximum duration the embryos can be frozen ?
The embryos can be frozen for as long as you want.
What are the costs associated with Embryo Freezing ?
Cost depends on the number of years you want to freeze the embryos.
Does Frozen Embryo Transfer improve IVF success ?
Yes of course the success is good with Frozen Embryo Transfer.
What are the advantages of Frozen Embryo Transfer ?
By transferring embryos in a cycle without injections for follicle growth, the success of IVF greatly improves.
Dr Arun Muthuvel is an Infertility Super Specialist with India's only Recognised Infertility Super Speciality degree MCh - Reproductive Medicine and Surgery.
He practises at Iswarya Fertility Centre, Chennai, India.